Excellentissimus Dominus, D. Joannes, Comes Nassouiæ, Cattinelli Boci, vianden Dietz & c. Eques Aurei Vellieris. S.Ma. Cæs. Mareschallus Cath. Reg. in Belgio Equitum Generalis & c.
- Additional Title(s):
Johann VIII Count of Nassau-Siegen
- Part Of:
- Etching, engraving and stipple on medium, slightly textured, browned white, laid paper, mounted on, moderately thick, slightly textured, cream, laid paper
- Mount: 14 7/8 × 11 inches (37.8 × 27.9 cm), Sheet (trimmed inside plate): 9 9/16 × 7 15/16 inches (24.3 × 20.2 cm), and Image: 8 7/16 × 7 3/16 inches (21.4 × 18.3 cm)
Inscribed on verso in graphite, lower left: "Watermark 10R | 1680 | W.164  state"; lower right: "ex c.24962"
Watermark Collector's mark: "G.A.C."
Lettered, center: "EXCELLENTISSIMUS DOMINUS. D. JOANNES. COMES NASSOVIÆ. CATINELLIBOCI. VIANDEN. DIETZ. & C. EQUES AUREI VELLERIS. S.MA: CÆS. MARESCHALLUS. CATH. REG. IN BELGIO. EQUITUM GENERALIS. & C."; lettered, lower center: "ILLUSTRISSIMÆ PRINCIPI. ERNESTINÆ DE LIGNE EIUSDEM D. COMITIS. UXORII D.D."; lettered, lower left: "A van Dyck pinxit."
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- Associated People:
- Johan Maurits, Prince of Nassau-Siegen (Dutch colonial governor, 1604-1679)
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
YCBA Collections Search
Lucas Vorsterman, 1595–1675, Flemish, Excellentissimus Dominus, D. Joannes, Comes Nassouiæ, Cattinelli Boci, vianden Dietz & c. Eques Aurei Vellieris. S.Ma. Cæs. Mareschallus Cath. Reg. in Belgio Equitum Generalis & c, ca.1635
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.