IIIF provides researchers rich metadata and media viewing options for comparison of works across cultural heritage collections. Visit the IIIF page to learn more.
Print made by James Bretherton, ca. 1730–1806, British, Study of a Man with Stick Wearing the Order of the Garter, 1782
Study of a Man with Stick Wearing the Order of the Garter
- Additional Title(s):
Study of a Man with Stick Wearing Garter Order
- Etching on moderately thick, moderately textured, cream laid paper
- Sheet: 9 3/8 x 7 1/8 inches (23.8 x 18.1 cm), Plate: 7 1/2 x 5 3/8 inches (19 x 13.6 cm), Image: 5 15/16 x 2 13/16 inches (15.1 x 7.1 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, on back, lower left: "44555 (encircled)"
Lettered in black ink, lower center: "Mr. Bunbury. July 1782."; lower right: "Js. Bretherton f."
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- bow (costume accessory) | costume | figure study | frock coat | genre subject | knights | man | medal | nobility | Order of the Garter | ornament | profile (figure) | queue wig | staff (walking stick) | star | tricorne | wig
- Accessible by appointment in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.