- after 1850
- Materials & Techniques:
- Aquatint and stipple engraving with later color woodcut additions on moderately thick, slightly textured, cream wove paper, laid on mount
- Sheet: 2 5/8 × 4 inches (6.6 × 10.1 cm), Image: 2 3/8 × 3 7/8 inches (6 × 9.8 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, on back of mount, upper left: "ho. 39 | 9 (encircled) | with lettering"; on back of mount, upper center: "Baxter"; on back of mount, upper right: "3 (?)for/ 2"
stamped in gray ink, lower left: "BAXTER'S PATENT OIL PRINTING. | 11, Northampton Square."
Lettered in black ink, lower center: "BALMORAL CASTLE."
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Undetermined
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- architectural subject | architecture | bonnets (hats) | boys | castle | children | costume | dog (animal) | dresses | frock coat | genre subject | girl | landscape | man | mountains | portrait | prince | queen (person) | royalty | top hat | trees | Victorian | woman
- Associated Places:
- Aberdeenshire | Balmoral Castle | Europe | Scotland | United Kingdom
- Associated People:
- Albert (1819–1861), prince consort, consort of Queen Victoria
Victoria (1819–1901), queen of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland, and empress of India
- Accessible by appointment in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
Engraved by George Baxter, 1804–1867, British, Balmoral Castle, after 1850
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.