- The Great Exhibition: Exterior View from the Southwest
- Aquatint, stipple engraving, and etching with color woodcut on medium, smooth, cream wove paper, surrounded with gold dome-shaped border, laid on contemporary mount made of thick, smooth, beige card
- Sheet: 5 11/16 x 12 5/8 inches (14.4 x 32.1 cm) and Mount: 10 1/4 x 16 15/16 inches (26 x 43.1 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, on back of mount, upper left: "D miu | £3 | 12 (encircled)"; on back of mount, center left: "Lutwidge Paid (underlined)
stamped in red ink, on mount, lower left, within crown-topped oval: "THE GREAT EXHIBITION | PRINTED | IN OIL COLOURS | BY | G. BAXTER | THE INVENTOR AND | PATENTEE | 11 & 12 NORTHAPTON SQUARE"; beneath oval: "LICENSES GRANTED TO WORK | THE PROCESS."
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- architectural subject | architecture | audience | baskets | boys | carriages | carts | children | coats | costume | crowd | dogs (animals) | dresses | drivers | event | exhibition | families | frock coat | girls | hats | historical subject | horses (animals) | men | oranges | parasols | sashes (costume accessories) | stripes | The Great Exhibition of the Works of Industry of all Nations, 1851 | top hats | trees | turbans | uniforms | women | World's Fair
- Associated Places:
- City of Westminster | Crystal Palace | England | Greater London | Hyde Park | London | United Kingdom
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- <double click to display>
- <double click to hide>
Penelope McElwee, The non-representation of the agricultural labourers in 18th and 19th century English paintings : an exploration into the artistic conventions followed by the aristocracy and landowning classes in representations of the agricultural labourers ..., Newcastle upon Tyne, 2016, p. 134, fig. 10-3, NX650.L32 M34 2016 (YCBA)
- XML | RDF
YCBA Collections Search
Print made by George Baxter, 1804–1867, British, The Great Exhibition: Exterior View from the Southwest, 1851
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.