Pomare, Queen of Tahiti
- Additional Title(s):
Pomare, Queen of Tahiti, the Persecuted Christian, Surrounded by Her Family at the Afflictive Moment when the French Forces Were Landing
- Aquatint and stipple engraving with color woodcut on moderately thick, slightly textured, cream wove paper, laid on contemporary mount made of thick, smooth, discolored cream card
- Mount: 14 13/16 x 11 13/16 inches (37.6 x 30 cm), Sheet: 10 9/16 x 9 inches (26.8 x 22.8 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, on back of mount, upper center: "15 6/ D 4 (underlined) | 24 / 17949 Lau | L25 (crossed out) Lau | exceptionally good colours | fully lettered mount | £9"; on back of mount, upper right: "201 (underlined) | £15 | 1084 (crossed out) | Lau"; on back of mount, center left: "Pair D n/i/- | 7 +8 (+8 encircled) | £15"; on back of mount, center: "dcR"
Lettered in gold ink, on mount, lower center: "Pomare | QUEEN OF TAHITI, | THE PERSECUTED CHRISTIAN, SURROUNDED BY HER FAMILY AT THE AFFLICTIVE | MOMENT WHEN THE FRENCH FORCES WERE LANDING. | (horizontal line) | DESIGNED, PRINTED IN OIL, & PUBLISHED BY G. BAXTER, PATENTEE | 11, NORTHAMPTON SQUARE, LONDON."
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- armed forces | armed forces | balcony | bay (body of water) | book | bows (costume accessories) | buildings | chairs | children | costume | drums (membranophones) | fear | flags | French | gazing | gesture | gown | historical subject | infant | island | lattice | leaves | letter (correspondence) | men | mountains | natives | palace | palace | paper | queen (person) | sash | sea | sleeping | stripes | surprise | uniforms | women | yachts
- Associated Places:
- French Polynesia | Oceania | Papeete | Society Islands | Tahiti
- Associated People:
- Pomare IV, Queen of Tahiti (1813–1877)
- Accessible by appointment in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
Print made by George Baxter, 1804–1867, British, Pomare, Queen of Tahiti, 1845
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.