- The Crimean War
- after 1850
- Aquatint, stipple engraving, etching and color woodcut on cream card mounted on beige card
- Sheet: 8 1/8 x 9 7/16 inches (20.7 x 23.9 cm) and Image: 6 11/16 x 7 inches (17 x 17.8 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, on mount, on front, upper right: "Crimean | Set"; center right: "3oL"; lower right: "B + B | E/2"; on back, upper left: "75 (circled)"; center right, vertical along edge: "101 B + B"
Lettered, under each image, the name of the figure depicted. Upper row, left to right: "THE QUEEN VICTORIA" "LOUIS NAPOLEON" "THE KING OF SARDINIA" "THE CZAR"; center row, left to right: "GEN.L PELISSER" "LORD CARDIGAN" "LORD RAGLAN" "OMER PAG(?C)HA"; lower row, left to right: "DUKE OF CAMBRIDGE" "GEN.L CANROBERT" "SIR COLLIN CAMPBELL" "THE SULTAN"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- armed forces | boots | bridles | buttons | capes | cloaks | Crimean War (Oct 1853 - Feb 1856) | czar | dress | duke | feathers | generals | gesturing | grass | horses (animals) | king (person) | lords | military art | military costume | monarch | pointing | portrait | queen (person) | riding | royalty | saddles | soldiers | stirrups | sultan | swords | telescope | tricorn | turbans | war | war
- Associated People:
- Bonaparte, Louis-Napoléon (1808 – 1873), President of the French Second Republic, later ruler of the Second French Empire
Tommaso, Vittorio Emanuele Maria Alberto Eugenio Ferdinando (1820 – 1878), King of Sardinia, later King of Italy
Nicholas I (1796-1855), Tsar of Russia
Latas, Omar Pasha (1806-1871), Ottoman general and governor
George William Frederick Charles, (1819-1904), Prince, commander-in-chief of British Army, Duke of Cambridge
Canrobert, Francois Certain de (1809-1895), marshal of France
Victoria (1819–1901), queen of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland, and empress of India
Brudenell, James Thomas, (1797-1868) Lieutenant General of British Army and 7th Earl of Cardigan
Somerset, Fitzroy James Henry (1788-1855), Field Marshal of British Army and 1st Baron Raglan
Campbell, Colin (1792-1863), Field Marshal for British Army and 1st Baron Clyde
Abdülmecid I (1823-1861), 31st Sultan of the Ottoman Empire
Pélissier, Aimable Jean Jacques (1794-1864), marshal of France, later Commander-in-Chief of French forces
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- XML | RDF
YCBA Collections Search
Print made by Bradshaw & Blacklock, active ca.1850, British, The Crimean War, after 1850
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.