St Paul Preaching in Athens
- Additional Title(s):
St Paul Preaching at Athens
- Part Of:
- after 1855
- Aquatint, etching, stipple engraving and color woodcut on cream card mounted on contemporary cream card
- Mount: 7 11/16 x 10 1/8 inches (19.6 x 25.7 cm) and Image: 5 13/16 x 7 5/16 inches (14.8 x 18.6 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, on back, upper left: "E / u / G | 21"
Impression in contemporary card, lower center: "(shield) PRINTED | IN OIL COLORS | BY | BRADSHAW & BLACKLOCK | LICENCEES | MANCHESTER | BY BAXTER | PATENTS | (rectangle) "ST PAUL, | PREACHING at ATHENS"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- arches | architecture | balustrade | beards | beards | Christian | cloaks | columns | disciples | discussion (meeting) | gesturing | listening | New Testament | Paul in Athens: on the Areopagus he discusses with philosophers (in front of the temple of Mars) | philosophers | preaching | religious | religious and mythological subject | sculptures | statues | steps | tapestry | temple | the Raphael Cartoons | togas
- Associated People:
- Paul, the Apostle, St. (c. AD 5–c. AD 67)
Jesus Christ (7-2 BC/BCE to 30-36 AD/CE)
St Paul Preaching in Athens (cartoon, 1515)
- View by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
YCBA Collections Search
George Baxter, 1804–1867, British, St Paul Preaching in Athens, after 1855
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.