Specimens of Rocks. Proof of an Illustration for Wright's 'Globe Prepared for Man'.
- Part Of:
- after 1850
- Aquatint, etching and color woodcut on thick, smooth, cream wove paper
- Sheet: 7 5/16 × 4 13/16 inches (18.5 × 12.3 cm) and Image: 5 1/2 × 3 1/16 inches (14 × 7.7 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, on mount, on front, lower right: "B + B | E / g / G / 3oz | Book Illustration"
Lettered, in black ink, first row: "Grey Granite Red Granite Chap 3"; second row, "Gneiss Mica/Slate Page 34"; third row: "Specimens | of Old & New Red Sandstones | Series Pages | 83 | & | 124"; fourth row: "Layers of Iras, resting upon upheaved Chap 16"; fifth row: "Mountain Limestone, Glamorganshire."; lower center: "SPECIMENS OF ROCKS."
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- geology | gneiss | granite | gray | landscape | limestone | men | mica | red | rocks (landforms) | sandstone | sitting | slate | specimens | still life | stones
- Associated Places:
- Glamorgan | United Kingdom | Wales
- View by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
Bradshaw & Blacklock, active ca.1850, British, Specimens of Rocks. Proof of an Illustration for Wright's 'Globe Prepared for Man', after 1850
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.