Scene Illustration: Milton's 'L'Allegro'
- Additional Title(s):
"Till the live-long daylight fail; Then to the spicy nut-brown ale."
- Part Of:
- between 1860 and 1885
- Wood-engraving, printed in color with additional hand-coloring on moderately thick, smooth, cream card
- Sheet: 6 13/16 x 9 3/4 inches (17.3 x 24.8 cm) and Image: 4 1/2 x 6 7/8 inches (11.5 x 17.5 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, on back, upper left: "MHD | £42"; upper right: "159 (circled)"; center: "L'Allegro. | Milton. | F. Lydon B. Fawcett | G.B.L. [...] G. b. Leighton"
Marked with imprint, lower right: "4 Red Lion Square, London | G. C. L. | Chromatic Printer (image of belt circles text)"
Lettered, lower left inside image: "F. LYDON Del."; lower center: "Till the live-long daylight fail; | Then to the spicy nut-brown ale."; lower right inside image: "B. Fawcett"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- basket | bonnets | cane | caps | carpet | cats | children | clock | cottage | discussion (meeting) | eating | evening | families | fathers | fire | fireplace | gathering | genre subject | hats | house | illustration | inside | lantern | mothers | nighttime | parents | peasants | poem | poetry | stone | stool
- Associated People:
- Milton, John (1608–1674), poet and polemicist
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
YCBA Collections Search
Print made by Benjamin Fawcett, 1808–1893, British, Scene Illustration: Milton's 'L'Allegro', between 1860 and 1885
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.