Scene Illustration: Milton's 'L'Allegro'
- Additional Title(s):
"Till the live-long daylight fail; Then to the spicy nut-brown ale."
- Part Of:
- between 1860 and 1885
- Wood-engraving, printed in color with additional hand-coloring on moderately thick, smooth, cream card
- 6 13/16 x 9 3/4 inches (17.3 x 24.8 cm) and 4 1/2 x 6 7/8 inches (11.5 x 17.5 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, on back, upper left: "MHD | £42"; upper right: "159 (circled)"; center: "L'Allegro. | Milton. | F. Lydon B. Fawcett | G.B.L. [...] G. b. Leighton"
Marked with imprint, lower right: "4 Red Lion Square, London | G. C. L. | Chromatic Printer (image of belt circles text)"
Lettered, lower left inside image: "F. LYDON Del."; lower center: "Till the live-long daylight fail; | Then to the spicy nut-brown ale."; lower right inside image: "B. Fawcett"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- basket | bonnets | cane | caps | carpet | cats | children | clock | cottage | discussion (meeting) | eating | evening | families | fathers | fire | fireplace | gathering | genre subject | gesturing | hats | house | illustration | inside | lantern | literary theme | mothers | nighttime | parents | peasants | poem | poetry | sitting | stone | stool | talking
- Associated People:
- Milton, John (1608–1674), poet and polemicist
- View by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
Print made by Benjamin Fawcett, 1808–1893, British, Scene Illustration: Milton's 'L'Allegro', between 1860 and 1885
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.