- Engraving and drypoint on thin, slightly textured, cream Asian paper
- Sheet: 4 5/16 x 7 inches (10.9 x 17.8 cm), Plate: 4 5/16 x 6 1/2 inches (10.9 x 16.5 cm), and Image: 3 1/16 x 5 inches (7.7 x 12.7 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, lower left: "F. 1."; inscribed in graphite, lower left: "B ? 3rd. st., but before publns."; inscribed in graphite, lower right: "The Bride"; inscribed in graphite, lower right on back: "M.H."
Lettered lower left within image: "EDW.D CALVERT INVEN. ET SCULP."; lettered lower left below image: "O GOD! THY BRIDE SEEKETH THEE. A STRAY LAMB IS LED TO THY FOLDS."; lettered lower center to lower right below image: "LONDON PUBLISHED AS THE ACT DIRECTS NOVEMBER XVII MDCCCXXVIII BY EDWARD CALVERT XVII RUSSELL S.T BRIXTON ROAD." (at "EDWARD" the text turns upwards at a right angle, to wrap around the edge of the image)
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- basket | beehives | bride | building | cottage | drapery | fence | flowers (plants) | fruit | gate | grapes | grass | hay | hills | house | lamb | landscape | man | nudes | path | river | ruins | sheep | staff | star | stick | straw | stream | thatch | trees | village | vines | water | woman
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
Painting in England 1700-1850, collection of Mr. & Mrs. Paul Mellon. , Virginia Museum of Fine Arts, Richmond, VA, 1963, v.1: p.202, no. 388c, ND466 V57 v.1-2 (YCBA)