- Lithographic etching on moderately thick, smooth, cream wove paper
- Sheet: 2 7/8 x 3 3/4 inches (7.3 x 9.5 cm) and Image: 1 5/8 x 3 inches (4.2 x 7.6 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, upper center: "Engraved on stone"; inscribed in graphite, lower left to lower right: "The Flood. | E. Calvert. F. 3. One of the 5 impressions belonging to Calvert fam[...] | The Flood" ("fam" is most probably "family", but it is cut off at the edge of the sheet); inscribed in graphite, center right on back, written vertically downwards: "<reproduced from the> | original engraving on | Stone - 1829." ("original" underlined); inscribed in graphite, center on back, written vertically downwards: "4" (encircled); inscribed in graphite, center left on back, written vertically downwards: "The Flood."; inscribed in graphite, lower left on back, written vertically downwards: "M.H."
Lettered lower right within image: "EDW.D CALVERT. | INVEN."; lettered lower center below image: "LONDON PUBLISHED OCTOBER 1 MDCCCXXIX BY EDW.D CALVERT XVII RUSSELL ST. BRIXTON ROAD." ("SS" in "RUSSELL" are reversed)
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- animal art | bank | branches | bridge (built work) | carrying | cattle | clouds | cows | danger | drapery | escape | flood | herdsman | island | landscape | man | nude | oxen | river | robe | skirt (garment) | staff | stream | trees | trunks | water | woman
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
Painting in England 1700-1850, collection of Mr. & Mrs. Paul Mellon. , Virginia Museum of Fine Arts, Richmond, VA, 1963, v.1: p. 202, no. 388c, ND466 V57 v.1-2 (YCBA)