- Former Title(s):
The Ploughman or Christian Ploughing the Last Furrow of Life
- Additional Title(s):
Christian Ploughing the Last Furrow of Life
- Materials & Techniques:
- Wood-engraving on medium, smooth, cream Asian paper
- Sheet: 3 11/16 x 5 1/2 inches (9.4 x 14 cm), Image: 3 3/16 x 5 inches (8.1 x 12.7 cm)
Lettered lower center within image: "EDW.D. CALVERT. | INVEN."
Inscribed in graphite, lower left: "F. 5. 3rd .st. A fine proof"; inscribed in graphite, lower right: "The Ploughman."; inscribed in graphite, center on back, written vertically downwards: "11" (encircled); inscribed in graphite, lower left on back: "The Ploughman"; inscribed in graphite, lower right on back: "MH."
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- agriculture | animal art | corn | cymbals | dancing | death | food | forest | genre subject | grazing | harp | horses (animals) | life | lightning | lyre | man | musicians | nudes | plough (agricultural equipment) | serpent | sheep | shepherd's crook | shepherdess | snake | stump | sun | sunset | trees | vines | wheat | women
- Accessible by appointment in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
Connections (Yale Center for British Art, 2011-05-26 - 2011-09-11) [YCBA Objects in the Exhibition]
The Romantic Print in Britain - Yale Center for British Art (Carnegie Museum of Art, 2004-02-14 - 2004-05-09) [YCBA Objects in the Exhibition]
Painting in England 1700-1850 : collection of Mr. & Mrs. Paul Mellon : Exhibition at the Virginia Museum of Fine Arts, , 1,2, Virginia Museum of Fine Arts, Richmond, VA, 1963, v.1: p. 202, no. 388a, ND466 V57 v.1-2 (YCBA) [YCBA]
Christiana Payne, Toil and plenty : images of the agricultural landscape in England, 1780-1890, , Yale Center for British Art, New Haven, 1993, pp. 188-9, no. 92, ND1354.4 P39 1993 (YCBA) [YCBA]