The Sheep of His Pasture
- ca. 1828
- Engraving on thick, slightly textured, cream wove paper with cream chine collé
- Sheet: 2 3/8 x 4 1/16 inches (6.1 x 10.3 cm), Plate: 1 5/8 x 3 1/4 inches (4.2 x 8.2 cm), and Image: 1 9/16 x 3 1/16 inches (3.9 x 7.7 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, lower left: "Edw. Calvert. F.2."; inscribed in graphite, lower right: "The Sheep of his Pasture"; inscribed in graphite, center right on back, written vertically downwards: "[...] [...] [...] | [...] | [...] [...] | 18[...]"; inscribed in graphite, center right on back, written vertically downwards: "ECalvert."; inscribed in graphite, center right on back, written vertically downwards: "Designed + engraved | on Copper | 1828"; inscribed in graphite, center on back, written vertically downwards: "2" (encircled); inscribed in graphite, lower left on back, written diagonally downwards: "MH."; inscribed in graphite, lower left on back: "Sheep of his pasture"
Lettered lower left within image: "EDW.D. CALVERT | IN.ET SC"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- animal art | bank | barn | corn | fence | field | forest | grazing | hills | house | landscape | pasture | river | sheep | stream | sun | trees | wheat
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
Painting in England 1700-1850, collection of Mr. & Mrs. Paul Mellon. , Virginia Museum of Fine Arts, Richmond, VA, 1963, v.1: p. 202, no. 388c, ND466 V57 v.1-2 (YCBA)