View of Pont St. Michel from Pont Neuf
- Soft-ground etching, first engraver's proof, touched in graphite by the artist on medium, slightly textured, cream, wove paper
- Sheet: 8 15/16 x 16 1/2 inches (22.7 x 41.9 cm) and Image: 7 x 14 3/4 inches (17.8 x 37.5 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, recto, lower center: "<Pont St. Michel>" [bottom half of words cut off with sheet]; in graphite, recto, lower right: "A 4"; in graphite, recto, upper right: "<MH>"; and in graphite, verso, lower left: "MH"
Recto, lower right: "Drawn Etched & Pubd by T. Girtin June 28th 1802"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- architectural subject | boats | bridge (built work) | buildings | carriages | carts | cathedral | church | cityscape | deciduous trees | horses (animals) | island | people | river
- Associated Places:
- Cathédrale Notre-Dame de Paris | Europe | France | Paris | Pont Neuf | Pont Saint Michel | Seine | Ville de Paris, Départment de | Île-de-France
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
YCBA Collections Search
Thomas Girtin, 1775–1802, British, View of Pont St. Michel from Pont Neuf, 1802
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.