- Additional Title(s):
Bellman from "Il Penseroso"
- Materials & Techniques:
- Etching and drypoint, with plate tone on thick, slightly textured, cream wove paper
- Sheet: 10 1/2 x 14 inches (26.7 x 35.6 cm), Plate: 7 5/8 x 10 inches (19.4 x 25.4 cm), Image: 6 9/16 x 9 5/16 inches (16.7 x 23.6 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, lower left below plate marks: "A.II iv."; inscribed in graphite, lower right: "B"; inscribed in graphite, lower left: "Artist's Proof. A.H.P. Private Press | P. Private Press. The Bellman<n>"; inscribed in graphite, lower right: "M.H. | The Bellman"; inscribed in graphite, lower left on back: "1879 | "The Bellman" | from 'Il Perseroso' | Pub'd. by the Fine Art Svcs. 1879. | For Framing"
Lettered lower right within image: "S. PALMER. INV. ET. FEC | MEAD. VALE. | RED HILL | 1879"
Signed in graphite, lower right below plate marks: "Samuel Palmer - "
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- bell | cattle | church | cottages | cows | farming | hills | landscape | literary theme | moon | mountains | night | oxen | path | road | sun | thatch | tower (building division) | town | village | vines
- Accessible by appointment in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
Print made by Samuel Palmer, 1805–1881, British, active in Italy (1837–39), The Bellman, 1879