- Additional Title(s):
The Bellman from "Il Penseroso"
- Materials & Techniques:
- Etching and drypoint, with plate tone on moderately thick, moderately textured, cream laid paper
- Sheet: 11 3/16 x 16 7/8 inches (28.4 x 42.9 cm), Plate: 7 1/2 x 9 15/16 inches (19.1 x 25.3 cm), Image: 6 9/16 x 9 1/4 inches (16.7 x 23.5 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, lower left below plate marks: "A .II 6."; inscribed in graphite, lower right: "Proof by Griggs before | final edition. | Given to me by Griggs | MH."; inscribed in black ink, lower left: "one of 5 proofs printed by F. L. Griggs before the printing | of the final edition. signed by F. L. G. Short + myself. | Martin Hardie."
Lettered lower right within image: "S. PALMER. INV. ET. FEC | MEAD. VALE. | RED HILL | 1879"; lettered lower center below image: "The Bellman from "Il Penseroso" | Published by The Fine Art Society, 148, New Bond St. London, 1879."
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- bell | cattle | church | cottages | cows | farming | hills | landscape | literary theme | moon | mountains | night | oxen | path | road | sun | thatch | tower (building division) | town | village | vines
- Accessible by appointment in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
Print made by Samuel Palmer, 1805–1881, British, active in Italy (1837–39), The Bellman, 1879