The Cypress Grove
- plate etched between ca. 1880 and 1883; impression printed in 1924
- Etching and drypoint, with plate tone on moderately thick, moderately textured, cream laid paper
- 10 15/16 x 12 1/16 inches (27.8 x 30.7 cm), 5 3/16 x 7 5/16 inches (13.2 x 18.6 cm), and 3 15/16 x 5 7/8 inches (10 x 15 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, lower left below plate marks: "A.15iii"; inscribed in graphite, lower left: "Illustration to Virgil's Fifth Eclogue. The Cypress Grove | [?opposite] p.55."; inscribed in graphite in different hand, lower left: "Begun on copper by Samuel Palmer. | Completed for publn. by A H. Palmer"; inscribed in graphite, lower right (to label stamp of "DHP" in monogram): "Dover's House Press. | printed by F. L. Griggs. | Martin Hardie | MH."
"DHP" in monogram, of Dover's House Press owned by Frederick Landseer Maur Griggs, stamped in brown ink; watermark
Lettered lower left within image: "S. PALMER."
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Undetermined
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- astronomy | cattle | cows | cypress | death | figures | geology | grove | literary theme | mountain | mourners | night | nymphs | oxen | religious and mythological subject | science | stars | trees | twilight | volcano | waterfall
- Associated People:
- Publius Vergilius Maro (70 BC–19 BC), classical Roman poet
- View by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
Print made by Samuel Palmer, 1805–1881, British, active in Italy (1837–39), The Cypress Grove, plate etched between ca. 1880 and 1883; impression printed in 1924
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.