The Early Ploughman
- Former Title(s):
Early Ploughman or The Morning Spread upon the Mountains
- Additional Title(s):
The Morning Spread upon the Mountains
- begun before 1861
- Etching and drypoint, with plate tone on thick, smooth, cream wove paper
- Sheet: 8 11/16 x 12 3/8 inches (22.1 x 31.4 cm), Plate: 7 1/16 x 9 15/16 inches (17.9 x 25.2 cm), Image: 5 3/16 x 7 13/16 inches (13.2 x 19.8 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, upper right: "A A"; inscribed in graphite, lower left below plate marks: "A 9 ii"; inscribed in graphite, lower right: "D"; inscribed in graphite in Martin Hardie's hand: "M.H."; inscribed in graphite, lower right: "sky high light [...] | [...] 65 | 7"; inscribed in graphite, upper left on back: "S. Palmer. Early touched proof . with his note in corner. Probably printed by [?Gad] or Martin" ("printed by [?Gad] or Martin" underlined); inscribed in graphite in a different hand: "Above is (<a> note by A. H. Palmer) | M[...]"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- animal art | birds | bridge (built work) | castle | cattle | clouds | cows | genre subject | hat | jugs | landscape | light | morning | mountains | oxen | pitcher | plough (agricultural equipment) | river | ruins | trees | woman
- Associated Places:
- Accessible by appointment in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
YCBA Collections Search
Print made by Samuel Palmer, 1805–1881, British, active in Italy (1837–39), The Early Ploughman, begun before 1861
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.