IIIF provides researchers rich metadata and media viewing options for comparison of works across cultural heritage collections. Visit the IIIF page to learn more.
Print made by Samuel Palmer, 1805–1881, British, active in Italy (1837–39), The Early Ploughman, etching begun before 1861; impression printed in 1926
The Early Ploughman
- Former Title(s):
Early Ploughman, etc.
- Additional Title(s):
The Morning Spread upon the Mountains
- etching begun before 1861; impression printed in 1926
- Etching and drypoint, with plate tone on medium, slightly textured, cream wove paper
- Sheet: 9 15/16 x 13 1/8 inches (25.2 x 33.3 cm), Plate: 7 x 9 13/16 inches (17.8 x 25 cm), Image: 5 3/16 x 7 3/4 inches (13.2 x 19.7 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, lower left below plate marks: "A. 9viii | One of 4 proofs before final selection. See Alexander's note."; inscribed in black ink, lower left: "Proof | (one of 4) | printed by F. L. Griggs before printing of final edition signed by F.L.G., Short + myself. Martin Hardie" ("(one of 4)" inserted above the line of text; "final" underlined); inscribed in graphite, lower right: "P[...] by Griggs before final editn"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- animal art | birds | bridge (built work) | castle | cattle | clouds | cows | genre subject | hat | jugs | landscape | light | morning | mountains | oxen | pitcher | plough (agricultural equipment) | river | ruins | trees | woman
- Associated Places:
- Accessible by appointment in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.