- The Early Ploughman
- etching begun before 1861; impression printed in 1926
- Etching and drypoint, with plate tone on medium, slightly textured, cream wove paper
- Sheet: 9 15/16 x 13 1/8 inches (25.2 x 33.3 cm), Plate: 7 x 9 13/16 inches (17.8 x 25 cm), and Image: 5 3/16 x 7 3/4 inches (13.2 x 19.7 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, lower left below plate marks: "A. 9viii | One of 4 proofs before final selection. See Alexander's note."; inscribed in black ink, lower left: "Proof | (one of 4) | printed by F. L. Griggs before printing of final edition signed by F.L.G., Short + myself. Martin Hardie" ("(one of 4)" inserted above the line of text; "final" underlined); inscribed in graphite, lower right: "P[...] by Griggs before final editn"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- animal art | birds | bridge (built work) | castle | cattle | clouds | cows | genre subject | hat | jugs | landscape | light | morning | mountains | oxen | pitcher | plough (agricultural equipment) | river | ruins | trees | woman
- Associated Places:
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- XML | RDF
YCBA Collections Search
Print made by Samuel Palmer, 1805–1881, British, active in Italy (1837–39), The Early Ploughman, etching begun before 1861; impression printed in 1926
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.