The Rising Moon
- Former Title(s):
An English Pastoral or Rising Moon
- Additional Title(s):
An English Pastoral
A Rising Moon
Shepherd and Sheep
Shepherd and Sheep (A Rising Moon)
- Materials & Techniques:
- Etching and drypoint, retouched with black ink or oil paint, gray watercolor or gouache, and pale brown watercolor, gouache or chalk on thick, slightly textured, cream wove paper
- Sheet: 10 7/8 x 14 7/16 inches (27.6 x 36.7 cm), Plate: 6 15/16 x 9 7/8 inches (17.7 x 25.1 cm), Image: 4 5/8 x 7 9/16 inches (11.7 x 19.2 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, upper center within plate marks and written along a graphite line: "Boundary line of mount"; inscribed in graphite, center left within plate marks and written vertically along a graphite line: "Boundary of Mount"; inscribed in graphite, center right within plate marks and written vertically along a graphite line: "boundary of Mount"; inscribed in graphite in artist's hand, lower left within plate marks: "An English Pastoral. Samuel Palmer."; inscribed in a different hand, lower left within plate marks under graphite line: "The Rising Moon."; inscribed in graphite, lower left and cut off by the edge of the sheet: "[...]tant. | [...]tom of the print | [...]e hollow mount is to | [...] inch more than | [...] of the print to the top of the hollow mount | [...] maker is requested to pay particular | [...]n to this_"; inscribed in graphite, lower left below plate marks: "A.7ii | Touched proof | M.H." ("Touched proof" underlined); inscribed in graphite, lower middle below plate marks: "The pencil lines are the boundary lines of the hollow mount, The mount should be beville[...] | edge + perfectly white: the edge not gilt | Outside measure of hollow mount 18 3/4 | inches | by 13 1/2 | 9 [...] | Inside of gla[...] to be got thoroughly [?clean] after pasting in | Gla[...] to be colourless and without speck or flaw _ perhaps [?Chances] extra white plate -" ("not" is underlined; "inches" is inserted above the line of text it is related to); inscribed in graphite, lower right: "M.H."; inscribed in graphite, lower left: "Notes are by A.H. Palmer | M.H." ("Notes are by A.H. Palmer" is separated from other text with a curving graphite line); inscribed in graphite, upper left on back and written vertically: "Martin Hardie"
Signed in graphite, lower left within plate marks: "Samuel Palmer"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- animal art | barrel | church | clouds | cypress | genre subject | hat | hills | horizon line | house | landscape | moon | moonlight | mountain | night | pond | sheep | shepherd | staff | tower (building division) | trees | trough | village
- Accessible by appointment in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
Print made by Samuel Palmer, 1805–1881, British, active in Italy (1837–39), The Rising Moon, 1857
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.