The Rising Moon
- Former Title(s):
- Additional Title(s):
An English Pastoral
A Rising Moon
Shepherd and Sheep
Shepherd and Sheep (A Rising Moon)
- Materials & Techniques:
- Etching and drypoint, with plate tone on moderately thick, slightly textured, cream wove paper with beige chine collé
- Sheet: 10 3/8 x 13 3/4 inches (26.3 x 35 cm), Plate: 5 13/16 x 8 3/4 inches (14.7 x 22.2 cm), Image: 4 5/8 x 7 1/2 inches (11.7 x 19.1 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, lower left below plate marks: "A.7.vii"; inscribed in graphite, lower center below a graphite arrow pointing to plate marks: "no. '10' scraped out here."; inscribed in graphite, lower left: "Published State | From "Etchings for the Art Union of London", by the Etching Club, 1857"; inscribed in graphite in Martin Hardie's hand, lower left: "The Rising Moon."; inscribed in graphite in Martin Hardie's hand, lower center: "A H Palmer, Colln"; inscribed in graphite in Martin Hardie's hand, lower right: "Martin Hardie | MH."
Lettered lower left within image: "S P"; lettered lower left below image within plate marks: "Samuel Palmer"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- animal art | barrel | church | clouds | cypress | genre subject | hat | hills | horizon line | house | landscape | moon | moonlight | mountain | night | pond | sheep | shepherd | staff | tower (building division) | trees | trough | village
- Accessible by appointment in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
Print made by Samuel Palmer, 1805–1881, British, active in Italy (1837–39), The Rising Moon, 1857
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.