The Herdsman's Cottage
- Former Title(s):
The Herdsman's Cottage or Sunset
- Additional Title(s):
- Etching and drypoint, with plate tone on moderately thick, slightly textured, cream laid paper
- Sheet: 14 7/16 x 10 3/8 inches (36.6 x 26.3 cm), Plate: 4 7/8 x 4 inches (12.4 x 10.2 cm), and Image: 3 7/8 x 3 inches (9.8 x 7.6 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, lower center below plate marks: "A. 3. ii"; inscribed in graphite, lower right: "Printed by AH. Palmer. | Martin Hardie" ("Martin Hardie" underlined); inscribed in graphite, lower left: "Proof before publication in "The Portfolio", with Palmer's title [arrow pointing down to where Samuel Palmer has written "Sunrise"] | | Colln. A H. Palmer."; inscribed in graphite, lower right: "M.H."; inscribed in graphite in Samuel Palmer's hand, lower center: "Sunrise"; inscribed in graphite, lower right: "S. Palmer"; inscribed in graphite, lower left: "A 3 ii"
Lettered lower center within image: "S. Pal"; lettered lower left below image within plate marks: "S P"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- animal art | architectural subject | bag | beams | brook | cattle | cottage | cows | dog (animal) | farmer | genre subject | herdsman | landscape | light | man | oxen | river | shepherd | staff (walking stick) | stream | sun | sunlight | sunset | trees | window
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
Rachel Campbell-Johnston, Mysterious wisdom, the life and work of Samuel Palmer , Bloomsbury, London; New York, 2011, pp. 330-1, NJ18 P19 C36 2011 (YCBA)