- The Homeward Star
- etching begun ca. 1880; impression printed in 1924
- Etching and drypoint, with plate tone on moderately thick, moderately textured, cream laid paper
- Sheet: 10 13/16 x 12 15/16 inches (27.4 x 32.8 cm), Plate: 5 1/4 x 7 3/8 inches (13.3 x 18.8 cm), and Image: 4 x 5 15/16 inches (10.1 x 15.1 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, lower left below plate marks: "A 14 iii"; inscribed in graphite, lower left in Frank Landseer Maur Griggs' hand: "One of seven impressions after the lettering + steel facing had been removed | Printed at Dover's [sic] House, Campden, in May 1924 | F.L.G."; inscribed in black ink, [in different hand?]: "note by FL. Griggs, A.R.A, R[?E]."
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- apples | astronomy | bench | birds | buildings | bushes | cattle | chestnut | chimney (architectural element) | cows | cup | drinking | eating | figures | food | fruit | gathering | goats | hats | landscape | light | literary theme | meal | men | moon | mountains | night | oxen | people | science | sheep | sky | smoke | star | table | town | village | west | woman
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- <double click to display>
- <double click to hide>
Rachel Campbell-Johnston, Mysterious wisdom, the life and work of Samuel Palmer , Bloomsbury, London; New York, 2011, pp. 322-3, NJ18 P19 C36 2011 (YCBA)
- XML | RDF
YCBA Collections Search
Print made by Samuel Palmer, 1805–1881, British, active in Italy (1837–39), The Homeward Star, etching begun ca. 1880; impression printed in 1924
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.