The Lonely Tower
- Etching and drypoint, with plate tone on medium, slightly textured, cream laid paper
- 10 3/8 x 14 1/4 inches (26.4 x 36.2 cm), 7 1/2 x 10 inches (19.1 x 25.4 cm), and 6 5/8 x 9 1/4 inches (16.8 x 23.5 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, upper left to upper right: "Upper sky not at all darker than this - | In landscape below no alterations in the proportions of dark from the present state of plate | One inpression should go to Club [?on] rather a lighter [?key] altogether - "; inscribed in graphite, center right: "Boughs tree | [...] for old"; inscribed in graphite, lower left below plate marks; "A 12 iv"; inscribed in graphite, lower left: "A.H.P. Private Press - | 5th P. B - wiped carefully."; inscribed in graphite, lower right: "C"; inscribed in graphite, lower left: "For Touching"; inscribed in graphite, lower right: "The Lonely Tower. MH."; inscribed in graphite, center on back: "3" (inverted); inscribed in graphite, lower left on back: "'The Lonely Tower' from 'Il Penseroso' | publ'd by the <Etching Club, 1880> | Plate [?destd.] See [...] [...] [...]"
Watermark on sheet: "PORTFOLIO | M B M"
Lettered lower left within image: "S S m . Palmer"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- architectural subject | cart | cow | hill | labor | landscape | literary theme | masonry | moon | night | owl | ox | path | science | sheep | shepherds | stars | tower (building division) | trees | wall
- Associated Places:
- England | Europe | Stonehenge | United Kingdom | Wiltshire
- Associated People:
- Milton, John (1608–1674), poet and polemicist
- View by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
The Romantic Print in Britain - Yale Center for British Art (Carnegie Museum of Art, 2004-02-14 - 2004-05-09) [YCBA Objects in the Exhibition]
The Romantic Landscape Prints - The Chiaroscuro of Nature (Yale Center for British Art, 2002-09-25 - 2002-12-29) [YCBA Objects in the Exhibition]
Rachel Campbell-Johnston, Mysterious wisdom, the life and work of Samuel Palmer , Bloomsbury, London; New York, 2011, p. 319, NJ18 P19 C36 2011 (YCBA) [YCBA]