Opening the Fold
- Additional Title(s):
- Etching and drypoint, with plate tone on moderately thick, slightly textured, cream wove paper
- Sheet: 10 9/16 x 12 7/8 inches (26.9 x 32.7 cm), Plate: 6 7/16 x 9 1/16 inches (16.3 x 23 cm), Image: 4 5/8 x 6 15/16 inches (11.8 x 17.6 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, lower left: "Artist's Proof. A.H.P. Private Press"; inscribed in graphite, lower center: "A.13 iv"; inscribed in graphite, lower right: "Martin Hardie | M.H." ("Martin Hardie" underlined); inscribed in graphite, lower left on back: "Opening the Fold' | Pubd. in "The Eclogues of Virgil, An English Version" by Samuel Palmer, 1883. | This was only one actually pub'd. [?for] [?this] series by S.P. himself."
Lettered lower left within image: "S. PALMER. INV + FEC"; lettered lower center within plate marks: "Published by The Fine Art Society, 148, New Bond St., London, W. 1880."
Signed in graphite lower right within plate marks: "S.Palmer"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- birds | bugle | clouds | farming | hat | herd | hills | horn | labor | landscape | light | literary theme | morning | mountains | pipe | river | roof | sheep | shepherd | sky | smoke | sunrise | sunset | thatch | town | trees
- Accessible by appointment in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
The Creative Printmaker (Joseph and Margaret Muscarelle Museum of Art, 1986-03-05 - 1986-04-20) [YCBA Objects in the Exhibition]
The Creative Printmaker (Yale Center for British Art, 1985-07-09 - 1985-09-01) [YCBA Objects in the Exhibition]
Rachel Campbell-Johnston, Mysterious wisdom, the life and work of Samuel Palmer , Bloomsbury, London; New York, 2011, pp. 322, 328, NJ18 P19 C36 2011 (YCBA) [YCBA]