Opening the Fold
- Former Title(s):
Opening the Fold or Early Morning
- Additional Title(s):
- plate etched in 1880; impression printed in 1920
- Materials & Techniques:
- Etching and drypoint, with plate tone (printed in brown ink by Sir Frank Short) on thin, smooth, cream laid paper
- Sheet: 6 15/16 x 10 1/2 inches (17.6 x 26.7 cm), Plate: 5 7/8 x 8 3/8 inches (15 x 21.3 cm), Image: 4 5/8 x 6 15/16 inches (11.7 x 17.6 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, lower left below plate marks: "A. 13 vi"; inscribed in graphite in different hand, lower left below plate marks: "Frank Short. imp. 27.11.20"; inscribed in graphite, lower center [in different hand?]: "Etching to illustrate "The Eclogues of Virgil", by S. Palmer. 1883. | One of 2 or 3 proofs printed by Sir Frank Short - in brown ink | [?not]-wiped | not as by S. P. who used black + insisted on every speck of white showing. M.H." ("in brown ink | [?not]-wiped" underlined; from "not as by S.P. who...", inscription is written vertically up the right edge of the sheet); inscribed in brown ink, vertically up the left edge of the sheet on the verso: "Whole duty of man. pag: 13A. Hooker's Ecclesiasticall [sic] polity. h : 5. s : 72. | Montague's new Gagg for an old Goole. pag: 273. | Spark's devotion. pag 195. in ye disquisition upon ye fast in Lent."
Remarque consisting of a small triangle drawn in outline, lower left below image within plate marks
Lettered lower left within image: "S. PALMER. INV + FEC"; lettered lower center below image within plate marks: "And folded flocks were loose to browse anew | O'er mountain thyme or trefoil wet with dew."
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- birds | bugle | clouds | farming | hat | herd | hills | horn | labor | landscape | light | literary theme | morning | mountains | pipe | river | roof | sheep | shepherd | sky | smoke | sunrise | sunset | thatch | town | trees
- Accessible by appointment in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
The Creative Printmaker (Joseph and Margaret Muscarelle Museum of Art, 1986-03-05 - 1986-04-20) [YCBA Objects in the Exhibition]
The Creative Printmaker (Yale Center for British Art, 1985-07-09 - 1985-09-01) [YCBA Objects in the Exhibition]