Opening the Fold
- Former Title(s):
Opening the Fold or Early Morning
- Additional Title(s):
- plate etched in 1880; impression printed in 1926
- Etching and drypoint, with plate tone (printed under the supervision of Sir Frank Short, Martin Hardie and Frederick Landseer Maur Griggs, 1926) on medium, slightly textured, cream laid paper
- Sheet: 7 1/4 x 11 9/16 inches (18.4 x 29.3 cm), Plate: 5 7/8 x 8 3/8 inches (15 x 21.3 cm), and Image: 4 5/8 x 6 15/16 inches (11.7 x 17.6 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, upper right: "Ec VIII"; inscribed in graphite, lower right: "Dover's House Press | Printed by F. L. Griggs"; inscribed in graphite, lower left below image within plate marks: "MH."; inscribed in graphite, lower left below plate marks: "A. 13. vii"; inscribed in graphite, lower left: "Printing proof before issue of final edition"; inscribed in graphite, lower right: "P<rinted by>F"
"DHP" in monogram, stamped in pale gray ink, of Dover's House Press, owned by Frederick Landseer Maur Griggs
Lettered lower left within image: "S. PALMER. INV + FEC"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- bugle | clouds | farming | hat | hills | horn | landscape | light | mountains | river | roof | shepherd | smoke | thatch | town | trees
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
YCBA Collections Search
Print made by Samuel Palmer, 1805–1881, British, active in Italy (1837–39), Opening the Fold, plate etched in 1880; impression printed in 1926
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.