Opening the Fold
- Former Title(s):
Opening the Fold or Early Morning
- Additional Title(s):
- plate etched in 1880; impression printed in 1926
- Etching and drypoint, with plate tone (printed under the supervision of Sir Frank Short, Martin Hardie and Frederick Landseer Maur Griggs, 1926) on medium, slightly textured, cream laid paper
- Sheet: 7 1/4 x 11 9/16 inches (18.4 x 29.3 cm), Plate: 5 7/8 x 8 3/8 inches (15 x 21.3 cm), Image: 4 5/8 x 6 15/16 inches (11.7 x 17.6 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, upper right: "Ec VIII"; inscribed in graphite, lower right: "Dover's House Press | Printed by F. L. Griggs"; inscribed in graphite, lower left below image within plate marks: "MH."; inscribed in graphite, lower left below plate marks: "A. 13. vii"; inscribed in graphite, lower left: "Printing proof before issue of final edition"; inscribed in graphite, lower right: "P<rinted by>F"
"DHP" in monogram, stamped in pale gray ink, of Dover's House Press, owned by Frederick Landseer Maur Griggs
Lettered lower left within image: "S. PALMER. INV + FEC"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- birds | bugle | clouds | farming | hat | herd | hills | horn | labor | landscape | light | literary theme | morning | mountains | pipe | river | roof | sheep | shepherd | sky | smoke | sunrise | sunset | thatch | town | trees
- Accessible by appointment in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
The Creative Printmaker (Joseph and Margaret Muscarelle Museum of Art, 1986-03-05 - 1986-04-20) [YCBA Objects in the Exhibition]
The Creative Printmaker (Yale Center for British Art, 1985-07-09 - 1985-09-01) [YCBA Objects in the Exhibition]