- Etching and drypoint on thick, smooth, cream wove paper with cream chine collé
- Sheet: 11 1/8 x 8 1/2 inches (28.3 x 21.6 cm), Plate: 4 13/16 x 4 1/2 inches (12.3 x 11.5 cm), Image: 3 7/8 x 2 15/16 inches (9.8 x 7.4 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, lower left below plate marks: "A.2.iv."; inscribed in graphite, lower left [in different hand?]: "From Collection of J. Linnell. Junr."; inscribed in graphite, lower left [in different hand?]: "2651"; inscribed in graphite, lower center [in different hand?]: "The Skylark"; inscribed in graphite, lower center to lower right: "[?Scarce] State before plate was cut down. | AHP."; inscribed in graphite, lower left [in different hand?]: "[?India]"; inscribed in graphite in Martin Hardie's hand, lower right: "M.H."; inscribed in graphite, lower left on back: "From Collectn of J Linnell Jnr"
Lettered lower left within image: "S. Palmer"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- animal art | bird | chimney | corn | cottage | dog (animal) | fence | field | figure | gate | genre subject | hat | hills | landscape | man | staff (walking stick) | stick | thatch | trees | wheat
- Accessible by appointment in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
YCBA Collections Search
Print made by Samuel Palmer, 1805–1881, British, active in Italy (1837–39), The Skylark, 1850
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.