The Sleeping Shepherd
- Former Title(s):
- Additional Title(s):
- Etching and drypoint on thick, slightly textured, cream wove paper with cream chine collé
- Sheet: 11 13/16 x 8 9/16 inches (30 x 21.7 cm), Plate: 4 7/8 x 4 9/16 inches (12.4 x 11.6 cm), Image: 3 3/4 x 3 1/16 inches (9.6 x 7.8 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, lower left below plate marks: "A. 6 ii"; inscribed in graphite, lower left: "Publd. state has lower | margin cleaned + 'Samuel | Palmer' in script in margin to left"; inscribed in graphite, lower right: "M.H."; inscribed in graphite, lower left: "2652"; inscribed in graphite, lower center: "The Sleeping Shepherd. Scarce State before plate was cut down | The plate was afterwards cut to 4 1/16 in. wide. | height the same."; inscribed in graphite, lower left: "3_ India"; inscribed in graphite, lower left on back: "From Collectn of J. Linnell Jnr"
Lettered lower right within image: "S. Palmer"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- barn | birds | book | cattle | cloth | cows | farming | fields | hat | hay | labor | ladder | landscape | leaves | light | literary theme | oxen | plough | sheep | shelter | shepherd | sleeping | staff | straw | trees | trellis | vine
- Accessible by appointment in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
IIIF provides researchers rich metadata and media viewing options for comparison of works across cultural heritage collections. Visit the IIIF page to learn more.
Print made by Samuel Palmer, 1805–1881, British, active in Italy (1837–39), The Sleeping Shepherd, 1857
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.