The Weary Ploughman
- Former Title(s):
Weary Ploughman (Herdsman)
- Additional Title(s):
- Etching and drypoint on thick, slightly textured, cream wove paper with cream chine collé
- Sheet: 11 3/4 x 17 1/16 inches (29.8 x 43.4 cm), Plate: 7 9/16 x 10 5/16 inches (19.2 x 26.2 cm), Sheet (chine collé): 7 1/4 x 10 3/16 inches (18.4 x 25.8 cm), and Image: 5 3/16 x 8 inches (13.2 x 20.3 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, lower left below image within plate marks: "[...] [...] [...]"; inscribed in graphite, lower left below plate marks: "A. 8 iv."; inscribed in graphite, lower right: "E"; inscribed in graphite, lower left: "Earlier state of sky - "; inscribed in graphite, lower right: "India Proof in progress"; inscribed in graphite, lower left: "9" (encircled); inscribed in graphite, lower right: "[?This] proof lent for reprodn. in the Studio vol on "The Great Painter-Etchers" 1914 | Robins' book 1922 | MH."; inscribed in graphite, lower left on back: "6"; inscribed in graphite, lower right on back: "£12:12/- | <10>"
Signed in graphite, lower right below image within plate marks: "Samuel Palmer"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- animal art | bag | branch | calf (animal) | cattle | clouds | cows | dog (animal) | farming | fatigue | genre subject | hat | herdsman | hills | houses | labor | lamb | landscape | moon | mountain | night | oxen | path | road | rocks (landforms) | roofs | smoke | staff | sunset | trees | village
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
YCBA Collections Search
Print made by Samuel Palmer, 1805–1881, British, active in Italy (1837–39), The Weary Ploughman, 1858
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.