The Weary Ploughman
- Former Title(s):
Weary Ploughman (Herdsman)
- Additional Title(s):
- Materials & Techniques:
- Etching and drypoint on thick, slightly textured, cream wove paper with cream chine collé
- Sheet: 11 3/4 x 17 1/16 inches (29.8 x 43.4 cm), Plate: 7 9/16 x 10 5/16 inches (19.2 x 26.2 cm), Sheet: 7 1/4 x 10 3/16 inches (18.4 x 25.8 cm), Image: 5 3/16 x 8 inches (13.2 x 20.3 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, lower left below image within plate marks: "[...] [...] [...]"; inscribed in graphite, lower left below plate marks: "A. 8 iv."; inscribed in graphite, lower right: "E"; inscribed in graphite, lower left: "Earlier state of sky - "; inscribed in graphite, lower right: "India Proof in progress"; inscribed in graphite, lower left: "9" (encircled); inscribed in graphite, lower right: "[?This] proof lent for reprodn. in the Studio vol on "The Great Painter-Etchers" 1914 | Robins' book 1922 | MH."; inscribed in graphite, lower left on back: "6"; inscribed in graphite, lower right on back: "£12:12/- | <10>"
Signed in graphite, lower right below image within plate marks: "Samuel Palmer"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- animal art | bag | branch | calf (animal) | cattle | clouds | cows | dog (animal) | farming | fatigue | genre subject | hat | herdsman | hills | houses | labor | lamb | landscape | moon | mountain | night | oxen | path | road | rocks (landforms) | roofs | smoke | staff | sunset | trees | village
- Accessible by appointment in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
Print made by Samuel Palmer, 1805–1881, British, active in Italy (1837–39), The Weary Ploughman, 1858