The Victor Conducted in Triumph
- Additional Title(s):
The Victor Conducted In Triumph, Piazza St. Marco
- ca. 1781
- Aquatint and etching on medium, moderately textured, cream laid paper
- 15 9/16 x 22 3/8 inches (39.6 x 56.8 cm), 14 15/16 x 21 7/8 inches (37.9 x 55.6 cm), 14 1/8 x 20 1/2 inches (35.8 x 52 cm), and 13 7/16 x 20 1/2 inches (34.1 x 52 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, center on back (written vertically downwards): "814"; inscribed in brown ink, lower right on back: "[?VA]"; inscribed in graphite, lower right on back: "[?960 101]"
Watermarked, center right: "[...] | [...]"
Lettered center left within image (on flag): "VICTORIA"; lettered lower left below image within plate marks: "D Allan Invt."; lettered lower center below image within plate marks: "THE VICTOR CONDUCTED IN TRIUMPH | Piazza St. Marco | Publish'd as the Act directs by P. Sandby 1st. Jany. 1781."; lettered lower right below image within plate marks: "P.Sandby Fecit"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- architectural subject | cityscape | sporting art
- Associated Places:
- Europe | Italy | Lazio | Rome
- View by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
Paul Sandby RA, 1731–1809, British, The Victor Conducted in Triumph, ca. 1781
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.