Honor among Savages
- Pen and black ink, white gouache, graphite, gum arabic, and black chalk on medium, slightly textured, cream wove paper, mounted on, thick, slightly textured, beige, cardboard
- 14 1/16 × 19 3/4 inches (35.7 × 50.2 cm), 13 3/8 × 19 inches (34 × 48.3 cm), and 11 9/16 × 17 7/8 inches (29.4 × 45.4 cm)
Inscribed in pen, with black ink, upper left: "ON TO ABYSSINIA ON TO ABYSSINIA ABYSSINIA ABYSSINIA ON TO ABYSSINIA ABYSSINIA"; inscribed in pen, with black ink, center: "SOLEMN PLEDGE NOT TO USE WAR AS AN INSTRUMENT OF POLICY | SIGNED- | Mussolini | BIG CHIEF OF | ITALIAN TRIBES"; inscribed in pen, with black ink, lower left: "BACKWARD WARRIOR:- | "White woman no understand. Me Big | Chief can write, but not read. | Must obey call of National Honour.""; inscribed in pen, with black ink, lower center: "HONOUR AMONG SABAGES."
Signed, in black ink, lower left: "LOW"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Gift of Charles and Jennifer Monaghan
- Copyright Status:
- © Estate of the Artist
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- caricature | historical subject | World War 1939-1945
- View by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
Sir David Low, 1891–1963, New Zealand, Honor among Savages, undated
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.