Honor among Savages
- Pen and black ink, white gouache, graphite, gum arabic, and black chalk on medium, slightly textured, cream wove paper, mounted on, thick, slightly textured, beige, cardboard
- Mount: 14 1/16 × 19 3/4 inches (35.7 × 50.2 cm), Sheet: 13 3/8 × 19 inches (34 × 48.3 cm), and Image: 11 9/16 × 17 7/8 inches (29.4 × 45.4 cm)
Inscribed in pen, with black ink, upper left: "ON TO ABYSSINIA ON TO ABYSSINIA ABYSSINIA ABYSSINIA ON TO ABYSSINIA ABYSSINIA"; inscribed in pen, with black ink, center: "SOLEMN PLEDGE NOT TO USE WAR AS AN INSTRUMENT OF POLICY | SIGNED- | Mussolini | BIG CHIEF OF | ITALIAN TRIBES"; inscribed in pen, with black ink, lower left: "BACKWARD WARRIOR:- | "White woman no understand. Me Big | Chief can write, but not read. | Must obey call of National Honour.""; inscribed in pen, with black ink, lower center: "HONOUR AMONG SABAGES."
Signed, in black ink, lower left: "LOW"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Gift of Charles and Jennifer Monaghan
- Copyright Status:
- © Estate of the Artist
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- caricature | historical subject | World War 1939-1945
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
YCBA Collections Search
Sir David Low, 1891–1963, New Zealand, Honor among Savages, undated
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.