Hitch in the Roman Triumph
- Materials & Techniques:
- Pen and black ink, white gouache, blue chalk and graphite on moderately thick, slightly textured, beige wove paper, mounted on card
- Mount: 14 7/16 × 21 1/16 inches (36.7 × 53.5 cm), Sheet: 13 3/4 × 20 1/8 inches (34.9 × 51.1 cm), Image: 12 1/8 × 19 5/16 inches (30.8 × 49.1 cm)
Inscribed in pen, with black ink, upper left :" VICTORY SPQR", inscrubed in pen, with black ink, upper right: "AVE CAESA | VICTORY" inscribed in pen, with black ink, lower left: "RESERVED CHAINS | FOR THE SANCTIONS NATIONS", inscribed in pen, with black ink, lower center:"HITCH IN THE ROMAN TRIUMPH". inscribed in pen, with black ink, lower right: "CAESAR: "BOTHER! THE CAPTIVES ARE LATE!""
Signed in pen and black ink, lower right: "LOW"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Gift of Charles and Jennifer Monaghan
- Copyright Status:
- © Estate of the Artist
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- caricature | historical subject | World War 1939-1945
- Associated People:
- Gaius Julius Caesar Augustus (63 BC–AD 14)
- Accessible by appointment in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
Sir David Low, 1891–1963, New Zealand, Hitch in the Roman Triumph, undated
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.