Hitch in the Roman Triumph
- Pen and black ink, white gouache, blue chalk and graphite on moderately thick, slightly textured, beige, wove paper, mounted on, thick, slightly textured, beige, cardboard
- Mount: 14 7/16 × 21 1/16 inches (36.7 × 53.5 cm), Sheet: 13 3/4 × 20 1/8 inches (34.9 × 51.1 cm), and Image: 12 1/8 × 19 5/16 inches (30.8 × 49.1 cm)
Inscribed in pen, with black ink, upper left :" VICTORY SPQR", inscrubed in pen, with black ink, upper right: "AVE CAESA | VICTORY" inscribed in pen, with black ink, lower left: "RESERVED CHAINS | FOR THE SANCTIONS NATIONS", inscribed in pen, with black ink, lower center:"HITCH IN THE ROMAN TRIUMPH". inscribed in pen, with black ink, lower right: "CAESAR: "BOTHER! THE CAPTIVES ARE LATE!""
Signed in pen and black ink, lower right: "LOW"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Gift of Charles and Jennifer Monaghan
- Copyright Status:
- © Estate of the Artist
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- caricature | historical subject | World War 1939-1945
- Associated People:
- Gaius Julius Caesar Augustus (63 BC–AD 14)
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
YCBA Collections Search
Sir David Low, 1891–1963, New Zealand, Hitch in the Roman Triumph, undated
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.