Charlotte at the Tomb of Werther
- Stipple engraving and etching on moderately thick, slightly textured, cream laid paper
- Sheet (cropped to plate): 15 13/16 x 13 1/2 inches (40.1 x 34.3 cm) and Image (oval): 11 7/8 x 12 inches (30.2 x 30.5 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, on back, lower center: " ' Charlotte at the Tomb of W' 36"; lower right: "L15 | W. Dickinson (after H Bunbury)"
Lettered, lower center: "LONDON Publish'd Novr 26th 1785, by W DICKINSON Engrager & Printseller No 158 Bond Street"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- city | death | dresses | feathers | flowers (plants) | garden | genre subject | grass | graveyard | grieving | hats | offering | ruffs | sadness | sash | tomb | trees | urn | women
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
YCBA Collections Search
William Dickinson, 1746–1823, British, Charlotte at the Tomb of Werther, 1785
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.