View of the Clifton Suspension Bridge
- Lithograph on moderately thick, slightly textured, beige wove paper with gray chine collé
- Sheet: 15 9/16 x 21 3/16 inches (39.6 x 53.8 cm), Sheet (chine collé): 14 1/16 x 18 3/4 inches (35.7 x 47.7 cm), and Image: 11 5/16 x 17 5/16 inches (28.8 x 44 cm)
Lettered, lower left: "Drawn on Stone by J. D. Harding, from a Drawing by Brook Smith Esq.r | (details of bridge, i.e. height above water, etc)"; lower center: "VIEW OF THE CLIFTON SUSPENSION BRIDGE. | Proposed to be erected by the Trustees appointed under the Act, | according to the Design and under the Directions of Brunel Jun,,r Esq,,r Civil Engineer. F R S. | Length of Suspended Roadway 630 Feet. | Dedicated by Permission to | The Trustees of the Clifton Suspension Bridge, | by their veyr Obed,,t Serv,,t JOHN NORTON."; lower right: "Printed by C. Hullmandel"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- architectural design | beach | boat | bridge (built work) | bucket | buildings | city | cliffs | landscape | men | pail | paths | river | rocks (landforms) | sailboat | ship | shipping | shoreline | suspension bridge | trees | walking | women
- Associated Places:
- Bristol | Clifton | England | Europe | United Kingdom
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
YCBA Collections Search
James Duffield Harding, 1798–1863, British, View of the Clifton Suspension Bridge, undated
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.