IIIF provides researchers rich metadata and media viewing options for comparison of works across cultural heritage collections. Visit the IIIF page to learn more.
Charles Grignion, 1717–1810, British, A French Petit Maître and His Valet, 1771
A French Petit Maître and His Valet
- Line engraving and etching on moderately thick, moderately textured, cream laid paper, pasted on medium, moderately textured, cream Asian paper
- Mount: 16 1/4 x 11 5/16 inches (41.3 x 28.7 cm), Sheet: 15 7/8 x 10 15/16 inches (40.4 x 27.8 cm), Plate: 14 3/16 x 10 1/2 inches (36 x 26.6 cm), Image: 11 15/16 x 9 1/2 inches (30.4 x 24.1 cm)
Lettered in black ink, lower left: "Brandoin pinxt."; lower center: "A FRENCH PETIT MAITRE and HIS VALET. | London, Printed for Robt. Sayer, No. 53, in Fleet Street & J. Smith No 35, Cheapside, as the Act directs 1st. Novr. 1771."; lower right: "C. Grignion Sculp."
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- bagwig | buildings | caricature | city | cityscape | comb | costume | cravats | dandyism | flowers (plants) | genre subject | gesture | hearts | houses | humor | letter | macaronis | marquis | men | nobility | nosegay | parody | pointing | ribbons | ruffles | satire | street | street sign | sword
- Associated Places:
- Europe | France | Paris | Ville de Paris, Départment de | Île-de-France
- Accessible by appointment in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.