A Ladies Maid Purchasing a Leek
- Line engraving and etching on moderately thick, moderately textured, cream laid paper
- Sheet: 11 1/16 x 8 1/8 inches (28.1 x 20.6 cm), Plate: 7 7/8 x 5 7/16 inches (20 x 13.8 cm), and Image (no border): 6 x 4 15/16 inches (15.2 x 12.5 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, on back, lower left: "41890 (encircled)"
Lettered in black ink, lower left: "Brandoin Pinxt."; lower center: "A LADIES MAID PURCHASING A LEEK. | London, Printed for Jno. Smith No. 35 Cheapside, & Robt. Sayer, No 53 Fleet Street, as the Act directs 1st. March 1772."; lower right: "Caldwall Sculp."
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- apron | basket | bonnet (hat) | cabbage | carrots | coat | costume | dress | hats | leeks | lettuce | maid | man | market (event) | merchant | purchasing | ruffle | satire | smiling | tricorne | vegetables | woman
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
YCBA Collections Search
Print made by James Caldwall, 1739–1819, British, A Ladies Maid Purchasing a Leek, 1772
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.