A Macarony at a Sale of Pictures
- Line engraving and etching on moderately thick, moderately textured, greened white laid paper
- Sheet: 11 x 8 1/4 inches (28 x 20.9 cm), Plate: 7 13/16 x 5 9/16 inches (19.8 x 14.1 cm), and Image: 5 1/2 x 2 9/16 inches (13.9 x 6.5 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, on back, lower left: "41888 (encircled)"
Lettered in black ink, lower left: "Brandoin pinxt."; lower center: "A MACARONY at a Sale of PICTURES, | London, Printed for Robt. Sayer, No. 53, Fleet Street & J. Smith, No. 35 Cheapside, Publish'd as the Act directs Sepr. 25, 1771."; lower right: "Grignion sculp"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- caricature | coat | cuffs | genre subject | humor | macaroni | man | monocle | obese | papers | parody | satire | sword | wig
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
YCBA Collections Search
Charles Grignion, 1717–1810, British, A Macarony at a Sale of Pictures, 1771
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.