The Boscawen and Sheerness Privateers
- Additional Title(s):
The Boscawen and Sheerness Privateers Engaging a Fleet of French Ships from Martinico, Five of Which Were Taken, One Sunk, and Two Escaped, 1745
- Etching and line engraving on moderately thick, slightly textured, cream laid paper, laid on mount
- Sheet: 14 5/8 x 20 9/16 inches (37.1 x 52.3 cm), Plate: 13 1/4 x 19 inches (33.7 x 48.2 cm), Image: 11 5/16 x 18 1/16 inches (28.8 x 45.9 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, upper left: "403"
Lettered in black ink, lower left: "Brooking Pinxt."; lower center: "The Boscawen and Sheerness Privateers Engaging a Fleet of French Ships from Martinico | Five of which were taken, one Sunk, & two escaped, 1745. [swirled mark] | Publish'd according to Act of Parliament 1753. & Sold by J. Boydell Engraver, at the Unicorn, the Corner of Queen Street Cheapside_"; lower right: "Boydell Sculpt."
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- battle | cannons (artillery) | clouds | damage | destruction | fire | flags | French | galleons | navies | Royal Navy | sails | sea | ships | shipwreck | smoke | war | yachts
- Accessible by appointment in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
Print made by John Boydell, 1720–1804, British, The Boscawen and Sheerness Privateers, 1753