- Additional Title(s):
Greenland Whale Fishery
- Materials & Techniques:
- Etching and line engraving with hand coloring on moderately thick, moderately textured, cream laid paper
- Sheet: 14 5/16 x 20 3/16 inches (36.3 x 51.3 cm), Plate: 11 9/16 x 16 1/2 inches (29.4 x 41.9 cm), Image: 10 9/16 x 15 7/8 inches (26.9 x 40.4 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, on back, upper left: "166/MA."; on back, upper right: "[...] Gno (torn off)"
Lettered in black ink, lower left: "Brooking Pinx"; lower center: "Greenland Fishery [swirled mark] | Publish'd according to Act of Parliament, & Sold by J Boydell, Engraver at the Unicorn ye corner of Queen Street Cheapside, London 1754. _"; lower right: "Boydell Sculp."
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- animals | clouds | cold | fishing | flags | galleons | harbor | hunting | ice | killing | labor | marine art | men | oars | polar bears | rowboats | rowing | sails | sea | seamen | ships | snow | spear | Union Jack | water | whaleships | whaling
- Associated Places:
- Greenland | North and Central America
- Accessible by appointment in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
Print made by John Boydell, 1720–1804, British, Greenland Fishery, 1754