Entrance of Calais Harbour
- Part Of:
- Etching and mezzotint, printed in brown ink Engraver's proof (d) on medium, slightly textured, cream laid paper
- Sheet: 12 × 16 3/4 inches (30.5 × 42.5 cm), Plate: 8 1/2 × 12 inches (21.6 × 30.5 cm), and Image: 7 1/8 × 10 5/8 inches (18.1 × 27 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, upper right: "No.55"; lower left: "1st State"; lower right: "Rare"
Blind embossed: JMW Turner Sale (Lugt 1498); collector's mark: "C" (circled)
Lettered above image: "M"; below image: "Drawn Etched & Engraved by I.M.W.Turner. R.A. | ENTRANCE OF CALAIS HARBOUR. | Published Jany.1, 1816 by Mr.Turner, Queen Ann Street West"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- channel (water body component) | marine art
- Associated Places:
- Calais | Dover, Strait of | English Channel | France
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
YCBA Collections Search
Etched and engraved by Joseph Mallord William Turner, 1775–1851, British, Entrance of Calais Harbour, 1816
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.