- Chain Pier at Brighton
- ca. 1830
- Aquatint and etching with hand coloring on moderately thick, slightly textured, beige wove paper
- Sheet: 13 7/16 x 19 1/4 inches (34.2 x 48.9 cm), Plate: 11 9/16 x 16 7/16 inches (29.4 x 41.7 cm), and Image: 9 1/16 x 15 9/16 inches (23 x 39.5 cm)
collector's stamp of the Paul Mellon Collection, in blue ink, on back, center, within two concentric circles: "PAUL MELLON | COLLECTION"
Lettered in black ink, lower left: "Designed & Erected by Captn. S. Brown. RN. NovR. 1823 Length 1,134 ft."; lower center: [Brown family coat of arms, "FLORIAT MAJESTAS" lettered within banner] | "TO CAPTN. S. BROWN RN. | This plate representing the Entrance of the | CHAIN PIER AT BRIGHTON | is with permission respectfully dedicated by his Oblid. Sert. J. Bruce."; lower right: "Drawn Engraved & Publish'd. by I. Bruce. Brighton."
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- architectural subject | architecture | beach | boats | bonnets (hats) | buildings | carriages | city | cityscape | coats | costume | dog (animal) | dresses | feathers | frock coats | gates | genre subject | gesture | harbor | hats | horses (animals) | lampposts | leisure | men | parasols | pier | pipe (smoking equipment) | promenade (walkway) | railings | roads | rowboats | sailboats | sand | sea | smoking | street lamps | streets | suspension bridge | tailcoats | talking | top hats | trousers | walking | women
- Associated Places:
- Brighton | Brighton Beach | East Sussex | England | The Royal Suspension Chain Pier | United Kingdom
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- XML | RDF
YCBA Collections Search
Print made by John Bruce, fl. 1826, Chain Pier at Brighton, ca. 1830
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.