Free Natives of Dominica
- Additional Title(s):
Free Natives of Domenica
- Stipple engraving and etching on moderately thick, slightly textured, beige wove paper
- Sheet: 19 3/4 x 13 5/16 inches (50.2 x 33.8 cm), Plate: 12 1/2 x 9 7/16 inches (31.7 x 23.9 cm), and Image: 8 13/16 x 7 inches (22.4 x 17.8 cm)
Inscribed on verso in graphite, lower left: "old print"
Lettered in black ink, lower center: [Young coat of arms, "PRESS THROUGH" lettered within banner] | "FREE NATIVES OF DOMINICA. | This Plate is Dedicated to Sir Wm,, Young, Bart,, | by his most Obliged and devoted Servt,, | A,, Brunias. | London, Pubd,, as the Act directs, Febry,, 1, 1780, by the Proprietor, N,,67, Broad Street, Soho."; lower right: "A,, Brunias, pinxt,, et sculpt,,"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- bonnet (hat) | breeches (trousers) | cane | cap (headgear) | Caribbean | chokers | coat | costume | dresses | earrings | genre subject | gesture | gowns | handkerchiefs | hats | jewelry | lace | landscape | man | mountain | patterns (design elements) | ruffles | shrubs | staff (walking stick) | trees | tricorne | turbans | women
- Associated Places:
- Dominica | North and Central America
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
YCBA Collections Search
Print made by Agostino Brunias, 1728–1796, Italian, active in Britain (1758–70; 1777-80s), Free Natives of Dominica, 1780
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.