Free Natives of Dominica
- Additional Title(s):
Free Natives of Domenica
- Stipple engraving and etching on moderately thick, slightly textured, beige wove paper
- 19 3/4 x 13 5/16 inches (50.2 x 33.8 cm), 12 1/2 x 9 7/16 inches (31.7 x 23.9 cm), and 8 13/16 x 7 inches (22.4 x 17.8 cm)
Inscribed on verso in graphite, lower left: "old print"
Lettered in black ink, lower center: [Young coat of arms, "PRESS THROUGH" lettered within banner] | "FREE NATIVES OF DOMINICA. | This Plate is Dedicated to Sir Wm,, Young, Bart,, | by his most Obliged and devoted Servt,, | A,, Brunias. | London, Pubd,, as the Act directs, Febry,, 1, 1780, by the Proprietor, N,,67, Broad Street, Soho."; lower right: "A,, Brunias, pinxt,, et sculpt,,"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- bonnet (hat) | bows (costume accessories) | breeches (trousers) | cane | cap (headgear) | Caribbean | chokers | coat | costume | dresses | earrings | flounces | genre subject | gesture | gowns | handkerchiefs | hats | jewelry | lace | landscape | man | mountain | natives | palm trees | patterns (design elements) | ruffles | shrubs | staff (walking stick) | trees | tricorne | turbans | women
- Associated Places:
- Dominica | North and Central America
- View by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
Print made by Agostino Brunias, 1728–1796, Italian, active in Britain (1758–70; 1777-80s), Free Natives of Dominica, 1780
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.