A Negroes Dance in the Island of Dominica
- Stipple engraving and etching on moderately thick, slightly textured, beige wove paper
- 13 5/16 x 19 7/8 inches (33.8 x 50.5 cm), 11 13/16 x 14 11/16 inches (30 x 37.3 cm), and 9 x 12 7/8 inches (22.8 x 32.7 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, on back, upper left, written upside down: "old print"
Lettered in black ink, lower center: [coat of arms] | "THIS PLATE (representing a NEGROES DANCE in the ISLAND of DOMINICA) is humbly dedicated | to the Honble,, Charles O'Hara, BRIGADIER GENERAL of his Majestys Army in America, | Col,, of Foot, & Lieut,, Col,, of the Coldstream Regiment of Foot Guards. by his most obedt,, & devoted Servt,, | A,, Brunias. | London. Published 15 Feby,, 1779, by the Proprietor, N,, [...] ; Broad Streeet, Soho."; lower right: "A,, Brunias Pinxt,, et Sculpt,,"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- barefoot | bottle | buildings | Caribbean | child | clapping | coconuts | costume | couple | dance | dancers | dancing | dresses | drum (musical instrument) | genre subject | hats | houses | jewelry | leisure | men | music | natives | necklaces | parasol | patterns (design elements) | performance | plaid | sashes (costume accessories) | shirts | singers | singing | stripes | talking | tambourine | trees | turbans | veils | village | women
- Associated Places:
- Dominica | North and Central America
- View by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
Print made by Agostino Brunias, 1728–1796, Italian, active in Britain (1758–70; 1777-80s), A Negroes Dance in the Island of Dominica, 1779
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.