The Damnation of Obadiah
- Part Of:
- Etching on moderately thick, rough, blued white laid paper
- Sheet: 12 1/16 x 15 11/16 inches (30.6 x 39.8 cm), Plate: 10 3/8 x 15 1/2 inches (26.4 x 39.3 cm), and Image: 9 5/16 x 14 15/16 inches (23.7 x 37.9 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, on back, lower left: "44539 (encircled)"
Lettered in black ink, lower left: "HWBunbury delin. 1772. | "May all the Angels & Archangels, Principalities and | Powers, & all the Heavenly Armies, curse & damn him -"; lower center: "THE DAMNATION OF OBADIAH. | Vide Tris. Shandy Vol. 2d. | Publish'd as the Act directs 30th. Jany. 1773. By J. Bretherton No. 134 New Bond Street."; lower right: "J. Bretherton f. | - him - Obadiah. (Our Armies swore terribly in Flanders, | quoth my Uncle Toby, but nothing to this-")"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- book | breeches (trousers) | broom | caricature | chairs | coats | crutch | dog (animal) | doorway | excommunication | fiction | genre subject | gesture | handkerchief | humor | illustration | interior | map | men | nightcap | nightgown | novel | physician | pipe (smoking equipment) | profile (figure) | satire | science | smoking (activity) | The Life and Opinions of Tristram Shandy, Gentleman, by Laurence Sterne (1713-1768) | tricorne | waistcoats | walking
- Associated People:
- Doctor Slop
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
YCBA Collections Search
Print made by James Bretherton, ca. 1730–1806, British, The Damnation of Obadiah, 1773
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.