- Dancing Bear with Its Keeper, Piper, and Audience of One
- Etching and line engraving on moderately thick, rough, blued white laid paper
- Sheet: 10 9/16 x 13 1/16 inches (26.9 x 33.2 cm), Plate: 8 7/16 x 10 9/16 inches (21.4 x 26.8 cm), and Image: 7 3/8 x 10 3/16 inches (18.8 x 25.8 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, on back, lower left: "44551 (encircled)"; on back, lower right: "I"
Lettered in black ink, lower left: "Mr. Bunbury del."; lower center: "Publish'd 1st. April 1774."; lower right: "Js. Bretherton f."
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- animal | audience | bear | breeches (trousers) | chain | coats | costume | entertainer | genre subject | gesture | humor | men | music | muzzle | parody | performance | queue wigs | satire | staff (walking stick) | tamer | taming | tricornes | trumpet | waistcoats | wigs
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Exhibition History:
- <double click to display>
- <double click to hide>
- XML | RDF
YCBA Collections Search
James Bretherton, ca. 1730–1806, British, Dancing Bear with Its Keeper, Piper, and Audience of One, 1774
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.