The Houndsditch Macaroni
- Additional Title(s):
The Houndstitch Macaroni
- Etching on medium, moderately textured, blued white laid paper
- Sheet: 10 x 8 9/16 inches (25.4 x 21.7 cm), Plate: 10 x 6 7/16 inches (25.4 x 16.4 cm), and Image: 8 9/16 x 5 15/16 inches (21.7 x 15.1 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, on back, lower left: "44537 (encircled)"
Lettered in black ink, lower left: "HWBunbury delin."; lower center: "THE HOUNDSDITCH MACARONI | Publish'd as the Act directs 20th. December 1772. By J. Bretherton No. 134. New Bond Street"; lower right: "J. Bretherton f."
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- bow (costume accessory) | breeches (trousers) | caricature | coat | costume | fashion | genre subject | humor | macaroni | man | parody | profile (figure) | satire | sword | tricorne | waistcoat | wig
- View by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
Print made by James Bretherton, ca. 1730–1806, British, The Houndsditch Macaroni, 1772
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.