I Will Pay No More Debts of Her Contracting
- Additional Title(s):
I Will Pay No More Depts of Her Contracting
- Etching on moderately thick, rough, blued white wove paper
- Sheet: 13 1/16 x 9 1/2 inches (33.1 x 24.2 cm), Plate: 10 1/8 x 6 9/16 inches (25.7 x 16.7 cm), and Image: 8 3/4 x 6 1/4 inches (22.3 x 15.8 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, on back, lower left: "44538 (encircled)"
Lettered in black ink, lower left: "Mr. Bunbury delin."; lower center: "I will pay no more debts of her Contracting. | Publish'd 5th. (5 reversed) December 1772 by J. Bretherton New Bond Street (S reversed)"; lower right: "J. Bretherton f."
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- beggar | bill | bow (costume accessory) | breeches (trousers) | coats | costume | door | frill | genre subject | gesture | men | money | parody | pay | pointing | satire | shouting | smiling | tricornes | waistcoats
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
YCBA Collections Search
Print made by James Bretherton, ca. 1730–1806, British, I Will Pay No More Debts of Her Contracting, 1772
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.