A Modern Spread Eagle
- Etching with hand coloring on medium, moderately textured, blued white laid paper
- Sheet (cropped inside plate): 10 3/8 x 6 3/4 inches (26.3 x 17.1 cm) and Image: 9 x 5 15/16 inches (22.9 x 15.1 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, lower left: "X"; on back, lower left: "44553 (encircled)"
Lettered in black ink, within image, lower left: "Mr. Bunbury del."; within image, lower right: "Js. Bretherton f."; lower left: "Publish'd 3d. (3 reversed) Jany. 1782. (2 reversed)"; lower center: "A MODERN SPREAD (S reversed) EAGLE."
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- building | caricature | coat | coat of arms | costume | crest | curls | double-headed eagle | dress | eagle (bird) | emblem (symbol) | fan | genre subject | gesture | gown | greeting | Habsburg Monarchy | hats | humor | leaning | man | parody | post | queue wig | satire | sign | tricorne | wig | woman
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
YCBA Collections Search
Print made by James Bretherton, ca. 1730–1806, British, A Modern Spread Eagle, 1782
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.