Monsieur Le Fouet, La Francia
- Etching on medium, slightly textured, blued white laid paper
- Sheet (cropped inside plate): 10 3/8 x 6 3/4 inches (26.4 x 17.2 cm) and Image: 7 13/16 x 6 7/16 inches (19.8 x 16.3 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, on back, lower left: "44530 (encircled)"
Lettered in graphite, lower left: "HWBunbury delin : 1772"; lower center: "MONSIEUR LE FOUET | LA FRANCIA | Publish'd as the Act directs 6th. March 1772. by I. Bretherton No. 134. New Bond Street."; lower right: "I. Bretherton f."
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- bag wig | bow (costume accessory) | caricature | coachman | coat | costume | genre subject | hat | humor | macaroni | man | moustache | parody | pattern (design element) | postilion | profile (figure) | riding boots | satire | snuff | snuffbox | staff (walking stick) | tobacco | whip
- View by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
Print made by James Bretherton, ca. 1730–1806, British, Monsieur Le Fouet, La Francia, 1772
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.